I have this new love for camping. Perhaps it is the new spring air and the two consecutive sunny days making me daydream. But, hear me out!
Deer in camp.
Camping is so awesome. From the time I tumble out of the car, stiff muscles and fresh dreams, to the moment I leave after checking the campground to make sure I left it the same as I found it: I am engaged in the very natural fabric that sustains us. I hear the birds, smell the food in neighboring camps mingle with woodsmoke. The sunlight somehow, I swear, sinks deeper into my skin. From a toe dipped into cold water, to hearing the coyotes yelping in the moonlight, everything feels more real, closer, perhaps. I’ve come to realize that this soul infusing quality that nature provides, I just can’t live without it.
Here I give you the top six reasons you should plan an adventure in nature (soon):
1. Your soul needs it!- Being in nature is naturally healing, relaxing, and instantly changes your focus. There is a certain part of us, as human animals, that needs it. I am convinced of it.
2. Support your local state parks and natural preserves.- During this uncertain economy, our state park funding becomes seen as a luxury or non-necessity government program. Support them to stay open for everyone by enjoying the service they provide. I am certain nature gives back plenty of beautiful rewards for your patronage. Natural beauty, and access to it, is a human necessity!
3. Relearn your monkey skills.- It’s a saying Shawn taught me: “We go camping so we can learn to use our monkey brain.” Improvise, get down to basics, use ordinary and found materials in new ways, invent, create tools to do what you need. Learning camp skills makes me feel more confident in my abilities, and independent as an adult. Adapt.
4. Natural Order– You may wonder, “what the hell would it be like if I couldn’t text my lovie for two days? No Wi-Fi access, how can I survive? How will I know how to dress if I can’t get the latest digital weather update on my dandy new app that’s supposed to make life easier?” Wow! I feel like I’m in a Talking Heads video: our busy lifestyles may be carrying us farther away from what we really need. Eventually, “you may ask yourself, ‘how did I get here?'” By that time, your natural adventure is long overdue. Let nature organize you.
5. Beauty-Natural light showcases everything better. I am learning this important piece of information as an amateur photographer. My most beautiful finds are usually outdoors. Whether it’s a bird I’ve never seen before, or seeing a friend in a new light. Is it the natural light, or are my eyes more relaxed and accepting of beauty?
6. Food- All this lofty talk is making me hungry! Camp food always hits the spot. Is it because it takes more effort to prepare? (I can’t find the outlet for the Cuisinart.) Or is it the woodsmoke that makes everything taste smoky and carmelized? Barbecueing every night is my dream anyway. Camp food rocks!
Are we there yet? Soon. Plan your adventure soon.